College Sense: How to Pay for College
how this site works
your senior year
ask the expert
student resources
parent/family resources
contact us
Higher Education Services Corporation
New York GEAR UP
 Ask The Expert

Financial Aid and Scholarship Information for Undocumented Students

Financial aid is generally not provided to undocumented students or illegal aliens. Federal and state financial aid programs require the recipient to have U.S. citizenship or permanent residency (i.e., have a green card). Undocumented students, however, can qualify for private scholarships and grants.

New York State does allow undocumented students who attended high school within the state for three or more years to receive in-state tuition to its public colleges and universities. This law considerably increases the likelihood that an undocumented student will be able to afford his/her tuition without financial aid.

Undocumented students should begin researching scholarships and grants early because there are fewer sources. Undocumented students and families should make inquiries to their community-based organizations and churches. Other useful resources to review are:


The Internet's leading scholarship search service helps students make decisions that shape their lives: choosing a college, paying for college, and finding jobs during and after college


Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund (MALDEF)
Leading non-profit Latino litigation, advocacy, and educational outreach institution in the United States


Hispanic Scholarship Fund (HSF)
The nation’s leading organization supporting Hispanic higher education

Learn about Dependency >>


Word for the Wise